Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Day at the Races...

Ciao, darlings!

I love horses. I always have. I've taken riding lessons for a long time and I love the feeling of galloping on the back of a horse, with the wind running through your hair and adrenaline coursing through your veins. I love jumping over a hurdle, the split-second sensation of flying, every person's dream. I can't imagine what a jockey must feel like atop a medal- winning racehorse. Talk about fast.        
           Today my parents took me and my sister to Oaklawn in Hot Springs. Going to the races is an old Southern tradition. Everyone dresses up in their Sunday best to attend, although a racetrack is hardly a fancy place. I watched five races and left at closing time, and had an amazing time. I saw gorgeous horses with funny names, and listened to people shout and cheer for their bets. I myself did not place any bets, but my dad did and he won a few dollars. Spending time with the family and having racetrack treats is fun,  but my favorite part of the races is watching the horses pass the finish line. The winning mount usually pulls up from the middle of the pack, and the victorious jockey raises their crop in the air triumphantly. I like witnessing the big wins and the almost-came-in-second wins, and it's even more fun because the crowd favorite is rarely the champion, which makes the race even more suspenseful.
There's me and my yummy strawberry fro-yo 
My racing outfit

The horses coming in hard across the line!!! I love the gray
A different race.... Neck and neck! There is only one winner, however, and it's not #2...

The very last race of the day. The horses thunder across the finish, tired and sweaty. Magnolia Steele was the ultimate champion today, and she later received a trophy for her efforts. 

Going to Oaklawn was a great way to kick off the spring season and I cant't wait to go again








No comments:

Post a Comment