Friday, April 17, 2015

Make: Flan!

Ciao, darlings!

Tomorrow is International Food Day at school. All students are expected to prepare a dish from their assigned country; isn't that exciting! My country is Spain and so I have decided to prepare the traditional dessert of flan. I've had it before at SeƱor Tequila and thought it good, so I searched online for a recipe and made it this evening. I recorded the process by which I made it and I want to share the recipe with you! Here it is:

Ingredients:
2/3 cup white sugar
1 (14 ounce) can of condensed milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
5 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Instructions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Pour sugar into a small nonstick saucepan and put it on medium heat on the stove. Shake it and swirl it a little with a spoon or spatula until the sugar begins to melt and turn brown. Then lift the pan a few inches above the stove and continue to swirl it a little until it's a dark golden brown. Pour the sugar into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish and then tilt it to cover then bottom of the pan with the melted sugar.
3. Blend the condensed milk, milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla in a blender for 1 minute. Then pour the concoction over the melted sugar ( which will be firm now).
4. Place the casserole dish into a larger dish! Pour water in the outer pan until it's one inch filled with water.
5. It took 70 minutes for mine to cook but I have an old oven. I recommend cooking for 50 minutes and then periodically checking your flan to see how set it is. When you remove it from the oven it should be slightly jiggly.




The sugar will look like this when it's time to pour it into the casserole dish.


It will get hard really fast, spread it around quickly!


Blend all other ingredients!


This step seems funny, but it will help the flan to settle if you pour water in the surrounding bigger dish.


When you pull it out of the oven the top will be bready. Don't poke it! To check and see if the flan has settled enough, jiggle the dish a little. It should move a little in the middle but the edges should not.


The finished product should resemble this!!! Enjoy!!!

Update:
My class really enjoyed the flan! They went back for seconds! I would say this cooking endeavor was successful... I hope yours is too! 

What kind of food do you like to cook?









No comments:

Post a Comment